Circles are the special interest groups formed within the club for the discussion and exchange of ideas. Members meet regularly, and while there is always scope for the creation of new circles, the four current circles are:
The Dame Mary Gilmore Book Circle meets monthly at the New South Wales State Library
The Art, Heritage and Music Circle meets 3-4 times a year to visit a gallery, museum, garden, place of interest or to attend a concert.
The Evening Circle meets at 6.00pm for dinner and discussion. Open to all members it caters particularly for those whose professional commitments preclude attendance during the day.
The Morning Tea Circle, includes morning tea, after which there will be a speaker followed by general discussion and questions on the topic.
Sydney Lyceum Club awards annual monetary prizes to:
- a student at the University of Technology Sydney for the best thesis in Journalism and Social Communication (the Dame Mary Gilmore Award);
- the student of Sydney Conservatorium High School who achieves the highest ranking in Year 12 Music Performance;
- a performer in the Sydney Youth Orchestra;
- a student obtaining Honours in Chemical Engineering Thesis at University of New South Wales; and
- the student achieving the highest mark for excellence in primary school teaching in Master of Teaching Primary or Bachelor of Arts (Pathway to Primary Teaching) at the University of Western Sydney.
The newsletter, produced three times a year, informs members of the meetings and activities of the Circles, the selection and progress of the scholarship winners as well as news and events of both the Australian and the International Association of Lyceum Clubs.
The Sydney Lyceum Club Inc welcomes new members and is open to all women who have a tertiary qualification and/or are prominent in, or have a particular interest in the arts, sciences, professions, business or social issues. Membership provides companionship and intellectual stimulation and women, who wish to promote a spirit of goodwill and understanding through the sharing of their interests, are invited to join.
Lunch and Dinner Meetings
Each month a luncheon or dinner is held at the Union, University & Schools Club, 25 Bent Street, Sydney, usually addressed by a speaker. Members must RSVP to the convenor before each event with any changes received at least 3 business days prior to the event.
At 12:00noon members gather for drinks before going in to a two course lunch with wine at 12:30pm. For dinners, members usually meet at 7:00pm for drinks before a 7:30pm two course dinner with wine.