The Sydney Lyceum Club
In 1914, the writer, Agnes Rose Soley (Rose de Boheme), established the first Sydney Lyceum Club. She was joined by other like-minded women, including the poet and journalist, Mary Gilmore, a staunch supporter of the Club and of women’s rights. In 1982 the Sydney Lyceum Club was no longer active but strong interest was rekindled during 1991 and in 1992 a group of Sydney women set up The Sydney Lyceum Club Inc. Among them were members of the original club and their presence was greatly valued as they provided a living link between the two foundations.
The Sydney Lyceum Club Inc. is a member of the Australian Association of Lyceum Clubs, which includes Melbourne, Adelaide, Perth and Brisbane. These autonomous clubs are also members of the International Association of Lyceum Clubs working under the umbrella of the Lyceum Charter. The Charter promotes friendship and understanding among women and provides opportunities for engagement with the arts, sciences, public life and the sharing of scholarship in an environment of openness, discussion and exchange. Many members travel interstate and overseas to participate in the conferences presented by other Lyceum Clubs of which there are, currently, 74 worldwide.
The Sydney Lyceum Club Inc. aims to provide a non-political and non-sectarian environment for women with complementary interests to meet, converse, discuss and participate in special interest groups and to enjoy a monthly lunch or dinner, a social gathering with a guest speaker. These are usually held at the Union, University & Schools Club, 25 Bent Street, Sydney.